Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Digital Revolution For An Analog Photographer

When it comes to photography I guess I’m an analog guy. I like film. I enjoy working in the darkroom, and get a rush every time the image appears on a piece of 8x10 photo paper after two minutes in Kodak Dektol (my preferred print developer). But after buying a Canon A75 point and shoot last year for family snapshots, quick picks and web photos of my camera collection; I’ve found myself hooked to the instant gratification digital photography provides. With the recent announcement of the Sony Alpha 100 DSLR, I can look forward to using my plethora of Minolta lenses on a quality digital single lens reflex. Although I’ll probably wait to see if Sony introduces a semi-pro or pro version of the Alpha, which I’m sure is likely. As an entry-level, midrange digital SLR the Alpha 100 looks like one helluva bargain for Maxxum users like myself who didn’t jump on the 6MP Maxxum 7D/5D bandwagon. I’m glad I waited. I just hope I don’t ignore my Maxxum 7 after taking the DSLR plunge, because I thoroughly enjoy using it. Here are some recent reviews of the new Sony Alpha 100 DSLR prior to its expected release in late July ’06.

Popular Photography – Sony Alpha 100 Review
Steve’s Digicams – Sony Alpha 100 Review
DPReview – Sonly Alpha 100 Review


When it comes to music however, I converted to digital early on. In fact I still have some CD’s from 1986 that I still listen to. That was ten bucks well spent. Now that digital music is experiencing a new revolution with the introduction of the Apple IPod and other MP3 players, like the Creative ZEN Nano Plus (I plug it ‘cause I own one and think it’s great) this new technology is an amazing source for photographic information. Podcasts, which are short audio clips usually in .mp3 format, can be found all over the internet on a variety of subjects. Several photography themed Podcasts provide quick tips and instructions for applying techniques, or reviews of new equipment. If you have an MP3 player of any kind and have not taken advantage of this ‘FREE’ resource you have nothing to lose by trying it. These are downloaded to your MP3 player just like music files, or can be played directly on your computer. File size depends on the length of the cast. Below are some websites that have several Podcasts that I have found informative and entertaining.

New York Institute of Photography
Studiolighting.net
PhotoshopTV (provides audio and video files)
Popular Photography & Imaging

No comments:

Post a Comment