Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Alpha Test

I tend to reduce my shooting during the summer, 110 degrees will do that to you. Melted film can ruin anyone's day. With the mercury finally declining I decided to make the leap and acquire my first DSLR. In my camera bag, next to the Maxxum 7 body now sits a brand new Sony Alpha 100! So far I'm really enjoying this camera, although it is closer to a Maxxum 5D than the prosumer Maxxum 7D or 7 film camera, it is well constructed and has enough features to satisfy. The kit lens performs well and was given high marks by Popphoto.com. It is essentially a rebranded KM 18-70mm 3.5-5.6 lens (film equivalent 28-105mm). After familarizing myself with the buttons, knobs and menus, I attached a Promaster flash and started shooting around the house.

The kids are always the first victims and after rolling their eyes that daddy wants to take their picture yet again, they finally sat still long enough for me to fire off some test shots. The best part about digital is the instant feedback. There is nothing better than seeing the image right away and being able to immediately adjust settings to improve the picture.

2 comments:

  1. What adorable children. Wonderful images too. I've been thinking of buying the Sony Alpha because I have a Maxxum 700si and have been wanting to go digital. I have some older Maxxum lenses, do you own older lenses that work fine on the Alpha?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this time I only have an older 50mm 1.7 AF lens that works perfectly on the Alpha. I'm looking to pickup one of the older 70-200mm f4 lenses in the future.

    ReplyDelete