Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Steady As She Goes

Yes, my lack of patience got the better of me and I purchased the new Sony Alpha 100 DSLR. No buyer's remorse here however. I like the camera so far, great image quality, function control is better than I expected, anti-shake works very well; and even if Sony announces a 7D-like model tomorrow I won't regret it...much. I've got some youth sports event shooting to do this weekend so the Alpha will get its first field test.

So far the initial test shooting around the house has been positive. I was impressed with the level of detail the kit lens and CCD sensor capture. In the first posted image using the Macro mode setting, you can clearly see a small strand of spider web between the ear and head of this small action figure. I didn't even notice the web while shooting. Lighting was accomplished with an off-camera Promaster flash pointed up to bounce off of the ceiling. The highlights are blown out on this specific image, however the detail (including the web) is wonderful. The second image turned out much better overall. I was also able to handhold another non-flash shot at 1/6 of a second with acceptable sharpness at f3.5, amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment